Thursday, July 11, 2013

Chemo #3 - Half Way Done With Chemo!



Today was my third round of Chemo.  I’m so excited I’m half way done with treatments.  I’m pretty tired since the steroid I take the day before kept me up half of the night and then. The round was scheduled for 9 am so I had to leave mom and dad’s by 7:45 am.  I didn’t stay at Terrance and Rachel’s house because Braxton is still throwing up. 

Mitt's with ice packs in them to slow Chemo to my fingers.
First, I had an appointment with Dr. Dickson.  He said I’m doing really well.  He said we can go over reconstruction later.  I told him I haven’t missed them for a minute.  At this point I’m probably not going to have reconstruction.  He said when the BRCA results come in they will get me a copy.  I asked about After Care since Ray has to look for jobs right now.  Dr. Dickson said the first year I will be seen every 2-3 months, the second year every 4 months, the third year every 5 months, and so on.  He said reoccurrence of cancer usually happens within the first couple of years so they try to keep a close watch on patients then.  He said if Ray takes a job back east they can work with hospitals there.  I asked if he could issue me an order stating that I have to come back here for the tests, that way I can see my kids and grandbaby.  He thought that was pretty funny. 

The Huber Needle in my port.
My RN Ann holding up the Huber Needle that was in my port.  The needle is bent at a 90 degree angle.
After meeting with Dr. Dickson I went back for the treatment.  I got the ice for my mouth and hands.  It’s already cold in the treatment rooms and the ice makes me extra cold.  I make sure I bring a blanket and cap.  It really helps.  I watch a movie on my little DVD player and then watch YouTube stuff till the end of the appointment.  Today I watched “Water for Elephants”.  Unfortunately the internet wasn’t connecting so I just rested.  Not a bad idea since I only had about 3 ½ hours of sleep last night.  I don’t sleep as well anymore anyway.  Much to my dismay, I don’t really sleep in anymore.  I loved sleeping in, but it just doesn’t happen now.  My mouth and throat were already getting dry about half way through the treatment.  I can’t compare it to last time because I was still recovering from my raw sticky throat and went into Chemo with a dry mouth.  This time my mouth was only slightly dry when I went in.  Small price to pay.  The appointment lasted about 5 hours today.  My CBC (blood test) numbers are looking good.  Yay!


Afterward I took some things to Spencer and Natasha.  I lucked out since they were both home.  I rarely get to see both of them.  Then I took some things over to Terrance and Rachel’s.  I wore a mask and visited for a little while.  Braxton thought the mask was pretty humorous.  I think he thought I was playing.  Everyone needs to get better so I can visit and play longer.  It was nice to see everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment