Friday, September 13, 2013

Metal Retreat 2013




Thursday was supposed to be my last Chemo but the doctors said I could put off my Chemo until Monday.  Instead I was at a Metal Retreat.  So what is a metal retreat?  It is cutting, soldering, pounding, firing, patinaing, casting, riveting, annealing, rolling, stamping, folding, shaping metal and metal components. 

It took place at Trout Lake, WA for 6 days, September 9 - 15.  Fourteen amazing metal smith artists with their infinity of tools drove or flew to a huge house to create and share.  We would gather in the garage, where the studio had been set up and make things.  Someone would say “Who wants to learn how to…use a hydraulic press, make a fold form bracelet, hammer a ginkgo leaf, use the rolling mill, make glass cabochons, do kuem boo, solder a bezel, create a prong setting, work with metal clay, ...  ?” If you wanted to learn a technique someone was using, you could ask them.  They were more than willing to stop what they were doing to teach you and share their wealth of experience.  Each participant had a realm of unique talents in so many different areas making the group extremely diverse within a common interest.

All of the amazing women that attended the retreat except our fantastic photographer Kiimberly Rockett.  Thank you for the great picture.


Robin made sausages for any of us that wanted to try them.  They were delicious!  Others brought a variety of breads to share and were very much enjoyed.  This has to be one of the most sharing groups I have ever met.

Some of us went for a walk at the marsh nearby one morning.  The marsh reflected the mountain in the distance.  The trail was very well maintained and the weather couldn’t have been more perfect.  It was so nice to be walking out in the mountains. 

Besides that I spent most of my time in the studio.  Why not?  That’s why I was at the retreat and it was constantly full of unbelievable energy.

 
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday my legs and feet swelled up to a humungous size.  So much sitting and standing on concrete must have caused it.  There was too much to do to take time to elevate my feet so I soldiered on to learn and do as much as I possibly could before tools started to get packed up.




Cabachons Sandy brought.


 I also bought some amazing cabs.  They should keep me busy for a very long time.










These are some things I created using the shared talents of unbelievably skilled artists.

Kristi demonstrated copper clay.



Francesca showed us how to make glass cabs.
Judy helped me learn Keum Boo.  Love the clasp Shari showed me.




Marcy taught me how to fold form gingko earrings and Sandy taught the ear wires.





























Accidental art...spilled pewter pot.  I pulled it off of the melted table and wood board.  Melissa claimed it for her studio as "tortured art".  I was happy to let her have it.




So … most importantly a metal retreat involves good food, very little sleeping, strangers that become lifelong friends, interesting conversations, sharing, laughing, and healing. 



2 comments:

  1. That was so much fun to read the recap of our week. I feel blessed to have met you and to have shared this amazing week with you! Your pieces turned out beautifully. And, I LOVE all of your cabs. I almost bought that beautiful teardrop ocean jasper with the polka dots.... but put it back last minute. It was a very difficult decision! I can't wait to see what you create with these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such an unbelievable experience that I am so grateful I was a part of. Thank you so much for all of the help and patience (and supplies) you gave me. You are an amazing person and I'm grateful I got to know you.

    ReplyDelete