Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ray Has Returned and Our "New" Apartment

After taking a couple of "sick" days so he could visit with his sister Jacque and her family for a couple of days, Ray returned to the west on Sunday the 10th.  He said he really enjoyed the visit.


Ray was a little disappointed that there was to be no kissing ... especially since my white blood cell count was 1.  He has been exposed to different things from different regions and I can't take a chance that I might catch something.  I don't think it will be a deal breaker for our marriage although.  Just one more thing to add to the cancer train. 


On Tuesday we checked into our apartment at Ridge Crest.  It is ADA compatible because Ray's knee is so bad when he goes up stairs.  It is much smaller than the townhouse, but it will be better than going up and down the stairs all day.  After we checked in we were going through the apartment and it was filthy.  There was urine all down the toilet and caked around the base, there was soap scum on all of the fixtures in the shower, the kitchen floor hadn't been cleaned, the carpet was FILTHY, the stove hadn't been cleaned under, the kitchen sink hadn't been cleaned, and the list goes on and on.  The fridge had been cleaned out, the stove and oven had been cleaned, and the windows had been cleaned.  When I asked about the carpet he said it was cleaned and was just stained.  

I wish these pictures did justice as to just how filthy everything was.

At least they wiped around the top.
Caked on food.
More caked on food.
More soap scum.


Soap scum.

Spider webs and dead spiders.
Around foot of stove.
More behind the stove.

More spider webs.
More yuck and spider webs.


(Sorry about the picture arrangement.  I couldn't get them to line up at all.  Any suggestions would be welcome.)

I promptly hauled Ray and myself to the office.  The cleaning crew happened to be in a meeting with him at the time and I let them know precisely what was going on.  After their meeting they came down and I showed them what was not cleaned.  The supervisor said there were several cleaning crews over the summer so the apartment had somehow gotten missed.  The thing is, someone had to sign off on it and it was obvious it hadn't gotten checked.  Like I told the supervisor I usually go in and deep clean when I move in to an apartment because I am pretty high cleaning standards since I don't want to deal with other people's germs but that was ridiculous.  Besides the fact I'm not supposed to be dealing with other peoples germs while I'm undergoing Chemo.  There is no way I am paying any kind of cleaning fee.
They cleaned that apartment to almost sterile.  They said they would call the carpet cleaning crew but it would take 2 - 3 days unless I wanted to do it myself.  I said I would have to do it myself since we were moving our stuff out of storage Tuesday.  That required an extra drive up to Blackfoot and the entire evening to clean the carpets.  Then the drive back to Blackfoot to sleep since all of the floors were wet.
Very long and irritating day, but a very small thing in the long run.

Tuesday we rented a U-Haul truck.  $50+ for a couple of hours since that was all we needed. Crazy.  Matt came and helped since he had the day off.  Things went pretty smoothly.  


No comments:

Post a Comment