Thursday, November 21, 2013

Radiation


On 30 Sept, 2013 I had my Radiation appointment with Dr. Todd in Idaho Falls.  We discussed my options and decided to go forward with the radiation.  I want to do as much as I can on my part to eliminate the possibility of ever having to go through this again.  Dr. Todd is also in Pocatello so I had to option to receive 33 radiation treatments in Pocatello instead of having to drive to Idaho Falls every day for treatments and appointments.  At 33 treatments he would determine whether or not I would need a couple more treatments.

On 1 Oct, 2013 I had a simulation/imaging radiation appointment at the Cancer Center in Pocatello.  I had to lay on a foam form that they formed to my back and head.  When they were finished they sucked all of the air out of the form and it was my form for all of my treatments.  I was marked on my chest in two spots and on my side as well for triangulation of the machine.  They did X-Rays so Dr. Todd could plan where the rays would target when I came in.

I started Radiation on Tuesday, 8 Oct, 2013.  The Cancer Center is right up the hill from our student housing apartments so it was very close.  The first day they tattooed the spots for triangulation so they would not wear off and have to be remarked.  When I arrived I would undress from the waist up and put on a gown.  I would go into the treatment room and lay on my form on the treatment table.  The form put me in the proper position so getting all of the lasers lined up with my tattoos only took a few minutes.  The X-Rays would take a few more minutes while the machine would rotate around the table and hum and buzz.  Eventually I was able to count how many hums then how many buzzes it took for my treatment.  It was the same everyday for 27 treatments.

Lying on the form to keep me in position as the big eye looking thing rotated around the table shooting beams of X-Rays targeting the cancer bed and lymph nodes.
The last 5 treatments were called booster doses.  They used a paint pen to trace across the center of my chest and under my arm.  This is where they targeted concentrated doses of gamma radiation.  I didn't turn green or be endowed with superhuman strength, although extra strength would have been awesome at this time.  They made plates called cakes, I believe, that are made from Cadmium, Tin, and Bismuth.  They were the exact shape of the painted area.  A Styrofoam shape was cut first, then they made a mold of the shape, and then the metals were poured into the mold.  They would put the plate on the radiation machine and line up both areas.  They would do the same thing with the other plate before they administered the radiation.  They would also put a "Bolus" sheet like silicone on to compensate for missing tissue and intensify the gamma rays.  The hums and buzzes were not in the same sequence as the non-booster doses and took a little less time, about 3 minutes vs 5 minutes. 

The  on the risers put on the eye of the machine so it was almost right against my chest and would target the gamma rays at a specific area.

The plates, and the "Bolus".

My Radiation Team.  They were always so kind and respectful.  I never felt uncomfortable or scared thanks to their professionalism.

During radiation treatments I didn’t feel any different.  It was like getting an X-Ray.  When the treatments started my mouth went extremely dry.  They said since the rays weren’t targeting the neck it couldn’t be from the treatments, but it happened.  They had me turn my head slightly to the left to keep the “scatter” from my salivary glands.  This seemed to help a little.  

Every Tuesday I would see Dr. Todd and they would take X-Rays to track the targeted area and make sure everything was going as planned.  

It was just the same thing every day.  I couldn't really do anything else during the week, Monday - Friday.  Since I didn't need any extra treatments I finished radiation on 21 November, 2013.  

My radiation schedule:
Oct 7-10   4:45 pm
Oct 11   11:30 am
Oct 14   9:15 am
Oct15   4:14 pm
Oct 16-23   2:45 pm
Oct 24 - Nov 21   9:45 am
  It was good to have completed the last stage of my treatment.  I won't miss doing any of this ever again.


No comments:

Post a Comment