Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Pink Tea



Minnie Mouse
On Saturday, October 19, 2013 I attended the Pink Tea at the Juniper Hills Country Club.  I was invited by Kathy Warth who I met at a yard sale she was having.  When she found out I was fighting breast cancer she asked me if I would like to join her at her table at the Pink Tea.  She was a breast cancer survivor as well.  I happily accepted.


Beach
Besides the fact that it was for breast cancer survivors I had no idea what a Pink Tea was.  I was very impressed.  All of the tables were decorated differently by different people.  There was a very nice lunch, door prizes, drawings, and singing (not creepy commune type singing).  Part of the program was an outward facing circle (I was a participant) to remember those that hadn’t conquered cancer.

My take home gift specific to my table

Lovely Flowers and Collar Necklace Door Prize

Everyone got a mug to remind them of the fund raiser "Drive for the Cure" Golf Tournament.







Pink Halloween


Tea Party
There was also a wonderful young keynote speaker.  She talked about finding her cancer as a teenager, no one believing her because of her age and size, and how we need to raise awareness that ideas of who can get cancer are very narrow.  One thing she said that I really liked was, “When the dragon is going to attack the knight, he doesn’t call and make an appointment.”

Pretty in Pink
Beach

My table.  Lots of fun ladies.  Kathy is standing in the background on the right wearing a pink breast cancer T-shirt




I met new people who can relate and also became acquainted with member of a support group at the Cancer Center I go to for radiation.  The meetings are on Mondays from 5:00 – 6:30pm.  I think I will go and see if it is something that will work for me.  
Me in my favorite hat made by an aunt of one of the BHS football players.  It's like I have pink hair.  Love it!


All in all, it was a very uplifting and productive afternoon.  Thank you so much to Kathy for inviting me to this event and being gracious enough to allow me, a complete stranger, to sit at her table so I could meet others that will support me in my fight.    




No comments:

Post a Comment