Saturday, May 11, 2013

Drain pain



I was in a lot of pain.  The drains were really hurting, I can’t lie on my side to sleep, and I have to be careful not to roll onto the bulbs that collect the fluid from the chest wall.  Ray is trying to help but I’m pretty snappy.  Things are hurting and I don’t feel well. I’m emptying my drains every 4 hours and trying to keep the tubes clear.  I want them out as soon as possible.  I’m documenting how much fluid comes out of each one so the doctor can know if he can take them out on my next appointment.
Drain log,  measurement cups,  and string to hang the drain bulbs around my neck,  but only while bathing.  (Added at a later date so entire log can be seen)

I removed the bandages today so I could take a sponge bath and wash my hair.  Being clean is a very effective medicine in and of itself.  When the bandages came off it was pretty shocking.  I had to remind myself that Dr. Smith’s a cancer surgeon, not a plastic surgeon (even though it probably wouldn’t have looked much better if it had been a plastic surgeon).  I didn’t think I would be affected so much.  The incisions were so long and deep.  It looked so much different then I was used to.  There were some gasps and tears but it will heal.  Dr. Smith had said it won’t look the same in a year and he emphasized insurance would pay for reconstruction if I ever decide to go that road.  Right now I’m concentrating on one thing at a time…healing.


No comments:

Post a Comment