Friday, May 24, 2013

I Can’t Be A Backseat Driver







Since my CT appointment was cancelled for Wednesday, due to no pre-approval, they rescheduled me for today at 10:30.  Luanne called me yesterday just before she closed and said she couldn’t get a hold of the person that checked on the pre-approvals from Dr. Dickson’s office so not to drink the CT juice.  I asked her what my options were.  She said that I could agree to pay and if the insurance hadn’t approved it they could decide not to approve it after the fact.  I may have to do that since I can’t go forward with the chemo until I have it.  I told her I would drink the one bottle before I went to bed and then call her in the morning to see what she had found out. 

After I hung up with Luanne I called my insurance.  I asked if the order had been pre-approved and she said it had.  I told her she probably gets a lot of calls from people that are really angry about things, but I had to tell her that was the best call I’d had in a long time.  I could tell she was smiling.  She gave me the Authorization Approval #, the address of the facility approved, and their phone number.  Done! 

Lori was driving me while taking Nikole back to Rexburg when my sister Stephanie passed and honked at us.  It turned out she was going to get a Mammogram and Ultrasound at the same hospital at the same time I was going, so we took the exit and I jumped in the car with her.  Luanne called me this morning on the way to my appointment and told me not to drink the second bottle.  I was able to tell her that I had called my insurance and had gotten the authorization number and passed that information on to her.  When I arrived at the hospital Luanne came out to talk to me and said the person checking on the authorizations was out of the office today and wouldn’t be back until Wednesday.  That means my chemo would have been put off for another week! 

I changed into the CT scan/hospital gowns and on my way into my CT saw my sister in her Mammogram attire.  As we passed each other in the hall we compared fashions.  They looked remarkably similar.  They gave me IV’s and iodine which made me very hot and gave the sensation of wetting myself. 

I got dressed and was greeted by Barbara the nurse that will be attending me during my port installation.  She took me to the room where the installation will take place.  She explained the machines that will be involved, medications used, who will be in the room, what the port looked like, aftercare, and recovery.  She was very thorough. 

Luanne called Dr. Dickson’s office and scheduled my appointments for next week; chemo education and blood draws, port installation, and chemo.  Next week will be busy.  Instead of waiting in the foxhole for the opposition to attack, I am now going to be charging into battle rather than lying in wait.

This is just the beginning of what is going to be a long road and I need to make sure I am in the driver seat and that things are getting done.  I can’t be a backseat driver and just rely on others to make decisions that will impact my treatment and ultimately my life.  It’s my life and I’m going to try my hardest to make sure that I arrive at the destination I desire as timely and safely as possible.

Stephanie finished before I did.  Rachel wanted us to come up to visit for a little while because Braxton “misses his great auntie Stephanie”.  How do you resist that kind of argument?  That little kid gets cuter every time I see him.  He had a great time visiting with Aunt Stephanie and showing her all of the things he can do.  Her glasses and decorated nails were a big hit with him.

My great-niece Olivia at my sister Lori's son Jeremy's grave
We came home and had cupcakes and ice cream for my dad’s birthday.  He’s 77 today.  He got some slippers and a new ball cap that says “Worlds Greatest Grandpa”.  He has always been there for anything we have needed.  I have been so lucky to have been blessed to have him as my dad.

Then we went to put some things on my nephew Jeremy’s grave at the Groveland cemetery.  It was very solemn for me.  I have been going to buy some plots there ever since Jeremy passed away, but I just keep forgetting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment