Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Last Supper Before Chemo


Waiting to have the port put on my right chest.

Today I had my port put in my right chest.  Dad dropped me off at Mountain View Hospital to have it done.  It will make things much easier save my veins in the long run.  It is almost directly across from my armpit and slightly toward the center (at about 11:00).  There is hardly any rise at all.  It’s pretty flush with the skin. The entire time I was there was about 3 hours, about 20 minutes of it was the actual procedure.  I waited in the cafeteria for Lori to pick me up after she was out of school.


It is sore and the tube that runs up into my nicked jugular vein is a bit unnerving.  I feel like if I stretch too far or scrunch too hard or turn my head too far will it puncture the vein and start spraying everywhere.  Unwarranted concerns but things I think about none the less.  Hint:  after having this procedure, don’t put your head upside down then flip it quickly up to try to fluff your hair a bit.  It doesn’t feel the best on the jugular.  


These were the leftovers!


Lori and I went to El Mirador in Blackfoot for my “Last Supper” before chemo.  I have heard nothing will taste right once you start chemo until you are off so we went for the big guns.    Afterward we went to Rupe’s and I had a Butterfinger milkshake.  Everything was so good but it was a big mistake.  I had a huge stomach all night from eating too much.  


Today I also started steroids 2x’s a day to get ready for treatment.  (I know.  Now I won’t be able to compete in any monitored competitions...like that would ever happen.)  I was so awake I was driving myself crazy.  I noticed I was talking really fast and non-stop.  Mom was trying to keep up and was getting louder and louder and I noticed I was as well.  I just said I needed to go to bed because my head was spinning.  That did no good.  I couldn’t get hardly any sleep.  The combination of the steroids and how anxious I was about the Chemo the next day lead to a very restless night.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment